Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Amazon packaging

It is amazing how bad Amazon can be at actually shipping books. They are a bookstore first and foremost, and they've had years to perfect book packaging. But nearly every time I order a trade paperback, it gets screwed up somehow. Either a corner is bent over, or an edge is bashed and frayed, or there's a random cover crease. I understand how the edge issues could happen, since if theres a quarter inch of slack in the box it will bounce around. But the latest thing I bought looks like someone put a heavy weight on the book and bent it. How does this happen?

And don't get me started on hardcovers. They manage to bend over the edge of every single dustjacket I buy. Sometimes they even put a hard crease in it when they shrink-wrap it.

The whole thing is kind of depressing. You assume Amazon starts with pristine books, and screw them up entirely in shipping them to you. If I really cared, I could go down to the bookstore and pick out a mint copy off the shelves any day.